Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Art Teacher

 Many of you don't know this yet but I just accepted a job as a part time substitute art teacher for 1st through 8th grade at a local private school.  I LOVE it!  I get the privilege of teaching kids about artists and techniques that I didn't learn until college, for crying out loud! ( And I had many art classes in middle and high school.)  My, how curriculum times have changed.  I can't post photos of the students, for obvious reasons, but I can post a few fun shots I took.  


Today's project was self-portraits, "Modigliani" style.  Here is their example to follow and here are their vivid chalk pastels.



Isn't this great?  This artist is only 12!  I didn't learn chalk pastels on black paper until college.




This artist is actually a boy.  It almost looks like he made dreadlocks on himself.  He actually has short, dark hair.  This project was about expression and not "reality."



I love the way this artist used heavy black outlines to emphasize the elongation of the portrait.  It's SO Modigliani!


I'm so proud of these guys!  Check back for more artwork......

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job. Your students are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Michelle! Oh how I wish I had a teacher like you as a kid! Congrats on the job!

    ReplyDelete