Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Our New View 2013 (its all about perspective)


Today marks 5 days since a giant tree crashed into our house.  This morning Jason of A1 Tree Service came to tackle and cut down most of the tree, taking enormous pressure off of the roof over our family room.  He will come back Thursday to cut the remaining trunks (yes, there were two trunks stemming from one base) down to haul away, as they are still resting on our patio deck.



What a lovely new view, don't you think?  So bright and sunny!



The french doors to the right enter into our sunroom, {a.k.a. family room.



Here is the new view from our master bedroom window.  So open!







Here I am sitting on my deck aiming the camera up to the sky, what used to be the patio ceiling.
It's a gorgeous but chilly day, about 37 degrees.  It was also quite breezy today and while you can't tell from the photo, those trees towering above me were swaying quite a bit.  Very unnerving after what I've experienced.  I asked Jason if anyone gets more than one tree falling on their house in a lifetime and he told me just around the corner a family had 2 trees fall on their house in one month's time.  He admitted that was a rare case, but he has seen it.



 Earlier today I read about all the Tent Cities that STILL exist in Jamaica, even years after the quake.  They are now being nicknamed "Rape City."  Puts everything into perspective.  I am so fortunate to live in America, and I am so fortunate the tree only took out our covered patio and partial roof.  I have a good roof over all the living spaces of my home AND food, AND health.  I am blessed for sure.  

Stay tuned for DEMO day!




7 comments:

  1. Still have Ty Pennington's cell number?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful view. Just watch out for that first step....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really unfortunate that your family had to experience this, but I am glad to hear that you stayed positive throughout the whole thing. Since you are worried that another tree might fall on your roof, it would be best if you would cut down the trees that might cause the same risk like the giant tree did. Take care!
    Royal Roofing & Siding

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw from your more recent post that you already have a new roof, which is great news indeed! What's more, it was restored into a state that no trace of this incident ever occurred. And though I feel bad about this whole tragedy happening to you, just like what Nelson said, I am happy that you kept your positivity intact. You take care now!
    Brook @ Central Roofing

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is quite a positive spin from the situation! It’s great that you’re not disheartened with all that’s happened. At least you have the chance to redo everything from scratch. Another silver lining right there!


    ReplyDelete