Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Lemon (Coconut) (No) Sugar Cookies {Gluten Free AND Vegan}



Sorry for the wonky title.  I found this recipe on "The Vedge" a vegan blog I highly recommend for delicious, fresh tasting recipes.  This vegan blogger is gluten-free too.  Ugh, imagine facing THAT difficulty each time you're hungry, no gluten AND no animal products!  I watched a great documentary last week, "Hungry For Change" ( www.hungryforchange.tv/ ), and upon learning some new disturbing facts, set out on a quest to create far more plant-based and gluten free meals as possible for my family.  I even pledged to my family that I would have healthy treats each week so no one would feel deprived.  After researching vegan AND gluten free cookies I found "The Vedge" and have already made three of Shea's recipes which my family, even carnivore hubby, LOVES!  

"The Vedge" titles these cookies "Lemon (No) Sugar Cookies" but I felt I had to add Coconut to the title because it's really the first note that my daughter and I tasted.  Fortunately for us we LOVE coconut!  They came out great.  This recipe only made a batch of 12 cookies so next time I will double the recipe.  I will also add one more TBSP of Coconut Sugar and a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract.  Other than that, they are divine little cookies and would work perfectly with a cup of tea.

One thing I would love to mention before posting my version of the recipe is I decided to use Organic Coconut Sugar instead of just 100% pure maple syrup.  I was afraid I would taste maple and I did NOT want to taste maple in my cookie.  For those of you who are new to Coconut Sugar you are in good company; this is my first time using it.  I went to my local health food store to find it.  Coconut sugar is a natural sweetener with a carmelized taste.  It is unrefined, sustainably grown, Non-GMO and is produced from the buds of the coconut tree.  Not only is it delicious and great for recipes, it also contains naturally occurring nutrients including magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, B vitamins and amino acids.  

Try this recipe and let me know what you think.  I can't wait to make another batch.  This recipe makes about a dozen cookies so double it if you have a family that will devour half the cookies the first night leaving only 6 for tomorrow (sigh).  


Lemon (Coconut) (No) Sugar Cookie {Gluten free and Vegan}

Ingredients:

2 cups almond meal/flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 TBSP of pure maple syrup
2 TBSP of Coconut Sugar
1.5 TBSP lemon juice
1 TBSP lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract

Method: 

1.  Preheat oven to 350 F/ 175 C
2.  Combine almond meal, baking soda and salt in a food processor and process until fine.
3.  In a separate bowl combine coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar, lemon juice and zest, and lemon & vanilla extract and mix well.
4.  Add wet ingredients to dry in the processor and process until a dough ball forms
5.  Scoop out one full TBSP of dough, roll into a ball and gently press ball down onto baking tray.
6.  Bake for 6-8 minutes (mine took 7) until just golden brown (they darken further after baking)

NOW THIS LAST STEP IS IMPORTANT

7.  Let cool for 15-30 minutes (or they will fall apart).






1 comment: