Friday, June 15, 2012

Gluten Free Cookies



Gracie was supposed to have a play date today with her friend Cameron who has Celiac but she has a fever, so no go.  We did, however, make gluten free oatmeal cookies to accommodate our friend and to just give our bodies a break from gluten.  Americans eat FAR too much gluten in their diets.  I found the recipe on the back of the Trader Joe's Rolled Oats package.  Did you know if the oats don't say "gluten free" they may be made at a plant with gluten and can have cross-contamination?  Bad news for those who suffer from Celiac.  I was a little nervous they wouldn't turn out the way I like cookies, chewy AND crispy, because they have zero flour, but they came out terrific!  See.....
Look at that crispy, chewy golden brown goodness.  The perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee or tea.  Why yes, I did have one for breakfast this morning.  Don't judge.


Look at how pretty they are in my glass cake plate?  It makes me smile.  I love having a white kitchen; it's the perfect background for displaying loveliness.  I thank God everyday for this house.  If you knew what we came from, you would truly understand my gratitude. 


I just watched a wonderful documentary last night called, "Food Matters."  Can't believe I haven't watched that one before.  If you know me, you know how excited I get over nutrition books and documentaries, especially ones that emphasize the way God designed us to eat.... WHOLE FOODS!
You will love this recipe, all ingredients you can understand and pretty healthy.  Even a little sugar is healthy, right?  Here goes.....

GLUTEN FREE OATMEAL COOKIES

1/4 cup butter, softened
1&1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups "gluten free" oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 oz. chocolate chips
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I love pecans)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup peanut butter (please use natural and not peanut spread, if the ingredients don't say peanuts and that's it, you are eating chemicals and fillers, not real PB)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar and butter and beat until creamy.  Add eggs, vanilla and baking soda and mix well.  Add PB and mix.  Stir in oats, chocolate chips and nuts (I also added 1/2 cup of coconut flakes).  Place a TBSP full of dough on a lightly greased cookie sheet (I prefer a Silpat or parchment paper) about 2 inches apart.  Wet your fingers and lightly press down on the balls of cookies so they spread properly.  Bake 10 minutes or until the edges are light brown. 
 Makes about 24 cookies.  Let me know how you like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment