Sunday, June 24, 2012

Swim Suit Season. Yay

I'm usually pretty happy with my almost 45 year old figure.  I love fall and winter where my regular attire is a sweater, jeans, boots and a scarf.  I even love spring where it's still cool enough to require layers.  But summer; summer I dread.  This past Friday I was forced to put on my first swim suit of the season because Gracie and I were going to a large splash pad.  My very first thought as I looked in the mirror was, "Oh snap, why haven't I done my pilates DVDs since last August?" Along with the constant voice in my head, "Doughnuts BAD."  Having a young child forces you to don a swimsuit regularly, there is just no getting around it.  The only swim suit I can go out into public in is similar to the photo below,  a rather modest two piece that covers an aging body.  Mine almost always comes with a skirt and while I look more like I'm ready to play tennis, its better than looking at my sagging rear.  


At least the splash pad was far enough away from home that I wouldn't see anyone I know.  Anyway, it was a 94 degree day and I was planning on getting wet along with Gracie in all the fountains and streams of water so I just had to go for it.   There were about 100 kids there which meant there were a LOT of mommies.  Out of ALL the mommies there, only one had a rock star body.  She was a really young, cute mom of two young boys.  She had a very athletic frame, tan, and no cellulite, at least that I could see.  She also had a small christian fish tattoo on her back, in fact, I may have been the ONLY mom there without a tattoo.  It seems that moms of North Carolina are required to have a tattoo, I see them everywhere, more so than even California.  Because we were there 2 hours I was able to people watch, which is such fun.  Did you know that tan cellulite is prettier than white cellulite?  It's true. But my tanning bed days are over and self tanners stink and don't really darken pale skin well... I digress.  

It turns out, I had the second best body at the splash pad that day!  Yes, I was judging, deal with it.  While that may sound like bragging rights, I quickly realized it really equated to being the 
2nd-Best-Dressed-Person-at-Walmart!!!!!  


Woo hoo!  And the prize is..... (drum roll inserted here)....Pride?  Dignity?  No.  There is no prize.  Who really cares?  These moms at the splash pad didn't, so I shouldn't obsess either over every little dimple and sag.  This is what a 45 year old body looks like and I'm happy to have it.  So happy in fact that the very next morning instead of waking up early to do pilates, I woke up late and popped into Dunkin Donuts for breakfast before my church meeting.  Doughnuts GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment