Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Green Smoothie Girl


We have a great health food natural market in town called Simply Good.  They often have lectures and demonstrations to educate their customers.  One of Rob's doctors is a health nut and over Thanksgiving weekend Dr. Nagy did a lecture and demo on The Green Smoothie Diet.  Rob got me the book and I've been making them about 5 mornings a week ever since.  They are SO yummy and give me energy.  The trick is to add the spinach or kale, or whatever green you desire, to the juice and blend on high for at least a minute before adding any other ingredients.  Then add any fruit of your choice.  My favorite is OJ, almond milk, spinach, banana, frozen pineapple, and a fresh fruit.  Lately we've even been adding a scoop of peanut butter.  Another thing I love about drinking this every morning is it kills all cravings for sweets and carbs.  In fact, it kills most cravings.  I believe it's because you get so many nutrients that your body stops craving because it doesn't need anything.  A great choice for vegetarians or vegans, a great choice for dairy free or gluten free diets, a GREAT choice for weight loss!  Don't let the green color fool you, these are delicious and you can customize them to your liking.  Let me know if you do.
Oh, and if you don't want to buy the book, check out greensmoothiesgirl.com.

5 comments:

  1. Do you use your vitamix? As you know we juice every morning but I'd be curious to try this. I wonder if our normal blender would work. Why do you have to blend the kale with OJ first for so long before adding anything else? Have you tried coconut milk? I use that now instead of almond milk because it has such good-for-you-fat in it and almond milk doesn't really have much protein like I expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use the Vitamix but my friends make green smoothies with regular blenders. You need to blend the greens first with juice to avoid chunks of leafy greens in your smoothie, eww. Once the greens look pulverized you can add other ingredients. I haven't tried the new coconut milk I'm seeing everywhere because I hate canned coconut milk and I can't stand the coconut water but i LOVE coconut! I will try the new milk version. We could use a break from almond milk.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for this interesting article Michelle. I plan to research to see if it's something I can try. I love Simply Good. And your blog is beautiful just like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynna! I hope a green smoothie works for you. They are yummy and healthy!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete