Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My First NC Commercial

Praise God, I booked my first NC commercial!  I have my resume into many films and productions out here and was even told I could have a few days allocated to me but the phone has been silent.  Last week I was on my iPad and an email came in right before my eyes asking if I was available July 2nd and 3rd.  I immediately responded, along with dozens of other makeup artists, but the production company chose me based on my promptness and resume.  

Along with the rest of the country, NC has had some record temps lately and high humidity.  I was told that the 2 day commercial was to be shot completely outdoors.  Also, because of the budget there would not be a trailer or RV for the talent and myself to prepare for the shoot and sit in between takes.  I seriously considered canceling.  But, we could use the added income and it could be a good contact so I kept my commitment.  I'm glad I did.  This production company is run by a married couple who like their team to have a family feel.  They are genuinely kind, hard working, and creative people.  The director was very talented and from what I could tell, was shooting some remarkable footage.  The actors were delightful, grateful, and not jaded like so many LA actors I meet.  They also had great skin, PLUS, so that always makes my job easier.  The casting was perfect.  

While the two 11 hour days were grueling to the body, the experience and networking made it well worth it.  This commercial will air in Charlotte during the Superbowl and it's a reel that I will be proud to add to my future makeup website.  I can't mention what the product is as they haven't even begun editing the commercial yet, but check back someday and I may even have a link for you to watch it.  

Below are some photos I snapped on my iPhone.  They look like they have vaseline over the lens (an old Doris Day trick) but it's just humidity.

This is beautiful Lauren.  The camera loves her and I believe she has a huge career ahead of her.  Next week she has a small part in Iron Man 3.  

This is Goldy.  She had the kind of hair you only see in Panteen ads.  I rarely had to touch or style it; just gorgeous, thick, shiny asian hair.  She was just darling.

This is Tuwanda and Bryant.  Yummy skin, right?  Notice Tuwanda's straight hair, and see below.

Bryant again with Lauren.  I was pleased with her hair, ain't it pretty?

OK, here is Tuwanda again.  What a debacle!  She showed up with straight hair but wasn't told she would be doused with water.  When black hair gets wet, it can get big and clumpy and frizzy.  The director loved the ethnic look better but because "frizzy" isn't pretty for commercial I told them I would have to curl it.  It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to achieve this look.  Darling, right?  They loved it and so did she which is so important for an actress's pysche.  And she got to look like this for exactly 2 scenes before they doused her again with water in our last take of the day.  Unfortunately all her curls went limp and clumpy but she was cool about it.  She drove home with a ponytail.  

I had such a good time even though I felt like I was working inside of a hot dog cart.  I hope I get more work soon.  I'll post about it when I do.  Thanks for everyone's prayers, I wouldn't have made it without them.  

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Michelle! You are so gifted.The actors turned out gorgeous! God bless you sweet sistuh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay M! They look great. Can't imagine how the second day must of felt in the heat. A smelly hot dog cart:):)

    ReplyDelete