Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Confederate Star


Many homes in the south display a star on their exterior.  I love them and knew if I ever moved here that I wanted one too.  I found this beauty at Habitat For Humanity Restore for $18.  It's about 24" high and I planned on hanging it over the garage but hubby never got around to it, and growing tired of it leaning against my fireplace, I spotted a nail on my covered patio and hung it there.  It looks perfect out there.  I tried to find the meaning of the star and the best I could come up with is it's a Confederate Star.  The star was a symbol in the south of independence from Europe.  I love what it represents.  Not until the mid 1800s did the south adopt the "stars and bars" flag which represented the south's independence from the north, ie: slavery.  You still see many trucks and homes out here proudly displaying their Confederate Stars and Bars flag.  I don't get it.  I personally hate what that flag represents, but I love the history out here, and look forward to learning so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment